It is no longer about building the new world. It is about BEING the new world.
– Lauri Ann Lumby
For those of us who came here to be leaders in bringing forth the new world – in helping others to see the new world that is already here in our midst, we each have our own unique task , our own unique portion of “the new” we are here to help others see hidden within “the old.”
Some are called to be leaders of revealing the new world in the fields of education, others in medicine, others in banking and finance, others in governance, others in what was formerly called “the military,” and others in marketing, commerce, industry, manufacturing, agriculture, etc.
The specific field in which I am called to reveal the “new” is in what has formerly been called “church.”
In the old world, “church” became the intermediary between the people and their “god” and the outside perceived authority charged with telling the people what to do. “Church” ruled through fear and manipulated with threats of eternal punishment and damnation.
This was never what God intended. Neither was this what Jesus worked for. Even Paul would have cringed if he’d seen what would become of his “Body of Christ.”
While this model of church continues to serve the needs of those who choose to remain in the old world – the world ruled by fear; for those choosing to live in a world of and for the purpose of Love, a different experience of what has formerly been called “church” seeks to be made known.
For those who in the old world were raised in one of the many Christian traditions, or who resonate with the person of Jesus, the “new” that is being revealed, and that I am called to help others see, starts with him.
What did Jesus do?
While we cannot recognize as authoritative or historically accurate, when we look past 2000 years of orthodox interpretation and through centuries of redaction and political maneuvering, and allow the Divine to speak to us directly, many truths can be gleaned:
- Jesus prayed. And he prayed often, and he taught his disciples how to pray.
- It was through prayer that Jesus experienced a deeply intimate, loving and even parental relationship with God (which he called “Abwoon”).
- It was also through prayer that Jesus eventually came to realize his Oneness with God.
- Through prayer, Jesus came to know God as Love and in this Oneness, came to know himself as Love.
- It was in this Love that Jesus came to experience “heaven on earth” or as Jesus explained it: “the kingdom of God within.”
- THIS is the kingdom Jesus proclaimed – LOVE.
- Jesus lived and taught two commandments: Love God. Love Neighbor. And Jesus considered EVERYONE to be his neighbor, especially those the outside perceived authority called “sinners” or “unclean.”
In the words of Isaiah, Jesus:
Brought glad tidings to the lowly,
Proclaimed liberty to captives,
Gave sight to the blind,
Freed the imprisoned and oppressed,
Healed the brokenhearted,
Comforted those who mourned
And proclaimed a year acceptable to the Lord.
IS 61: 1-2
Jesus invited “those who had ears to hear” to move beyond the fears created by the outside perceived authority that served to separate them from “God” to the love that had been there all along – the love through which they were empowered to remember their Oneness with God (each other and all of creation) and that in this Oneness, they would know peace.
- THIS is how Jesus healed the sick and set captives free.
- THIS is what Jesus taught and then empowered his disciples to do.
- THIS is what we too are called to do.
- THIS is what I am called to reveal as the “new” model of what we formerly called “church”
As Jesus himself taught that we are all ONE and that there is indeed no separation; in the new world this proves to be true:
Here we are no longer
Jew or Greek
Slave or Free
Male or Female
For we are all ONE.
Gal 3: 28
Here, the truth within all traditions is sought and love becomes the measure of that truth.
As I am called to reveal “the new” in what has formerly been called “church,” the Catholic faith in which I was raised in my starting point.
- That taught me about Jesus.
- Who called me to do what Jesus did.
- That taught me the value of ritual and the transformative power of contemplative prayer.
- Where I learned that scripture is indeed the Word of God when we allow God to speak to us through and beyond the imperfection of human words.
- Who gave me the angels, saints, mystics and all souls as my companions and guides.
- Who gave me a God who is both Mother and Father and a God who as Spirit is beyond gender, name or form and who is both outside and within.
- And the “Church” that taught me that we are here to know ourselves as the Temple of God and that as the Temple of God we have each been uniquely gifted and that it is through these gifts that we find fulfillment in our lives as we serve ourselves and others through the use of these gifts.
This is the starting point, but certainly not the end. For if we are all truly One, then it is our job to seek this Oneness – especially where we have most often fought for the sake of our perceived separation – in that which has formerly been called faith, religion or belief.
This is the “new” that I am called to reveal as we move more and more into the new world of Love – a “new” way of being what we formerly called “church.” And in this, we will learn that the “new” isn’t new after all, for it has always been here, right in our very midst, when we have had the eyes to see and the ears to hear.
If this this is the kind of “new” experience of what has formerly been called “church” that calls to you, please join us for our weekly gathering: “Being the New World”
Mondays 6:30 – 8:30 pm
Tuesdays 9:00 – 11:00 am
Authentic Freedom Academy
1103 School Ave.
Suggested Donation $10 – $20
If you are not in the Fox Valley and are interested in participating in these gatherings, please begin by subscribing to our weekly Empowerment Newsletter.
If you are interested in recorded sessions of our weekly gathering and in becoming part of our online community, please email Lauri at email@example.com. If there is enough of an interest, these will be made available for a small monthly subscription fee.