This coming Sunday, August 16, 2015, Authentic Freedom Academy is launching its Sunday Service (8:00 – 8:45 am at Inner Sun Yoga Studio in Oshkosh). People have been asking me what to expect from the Sunday Service, what it is about and what it might look and feel like. To be completely honest, I’m not really sure. What I believe will happen is that the Sunday Service will create itself based on the needs of those in attendance and that over time, it will find rhythm and form. Until then, all I can do is show up with the intention of the Sunday Service which is to:
Provide a home for those who might otherwise feel spiritually homeless:
- Those who might identify themselves as “spiritual but not religious.”
- Those who have become disenfranchised or disillusioned by traditional experiences of “church.”
- Those who have searched for a spiritual home but who are yet to find something that fits.
- Those who long for spiritual companionship and community that is welcoming and accepting.
- Those who long for spiritual community that is more about bringing people and beliefs together than building separation.
- Those who long for a spiritual community that welcomes diversity of all kinds, including beliefs.
- Those who yearn for spiritual community that encourages questioning as a critical component in authentic psycho-spiritual development.
- Those who want to be engaged and empowered not merely talked at or left to feel powerless.
- Those who want to be treated with honor and respect for the intelligent adults they are.
- Those who long to make the world a better place, and who believe their spiritual development to be an integral component in fulfilling this desire.
If you want to know more about the nuts and bolts of what Sunday might look like, here is what I know so far:
- Bring the kids! All ages are welcome and I hope to provide opportunities for children to move and feel engaged!
- There will be coffee and hot water for tea which you are welcome to bring into the service!
- There will be nametags and a sign-up sheet so you can receive information on future programs, services, offerings, etc.
- The yoga studio has plenty of pillows and blankets for floor sitting. (If the floor isn’t comfortable for you the studio has a few chairs or feel free to bring your own.)
- There will be a free will donation basket. Thank you in advance for your generous support.
- We will start promptly at 8 and open with some sort of prayer of welcome, preparation and setting of our intention.
- I will play a song to set the tone for the day’s theme.
- I will share a reading from sacred wisdom literature (most commonly scripture from the Judeo-Christian tradition as this is my background, and I will include readings from other traditions when inspired to do so.)
- A short lesson on applying the reading to our own lives, especially from the perspective of unity consciousness (Oneness).
- We will share in a period of contemplative meditation drawing from Hebrew, Christian, Yogic, Buddhist and Indigenous traditions.
- We will take time to share our prayer intentions and close with either a song or silence as we hold our intentions in prayer and prepare to go back out into the world.
If any or all of this calls to you, please join us this Sunday at 8 am (prompt). Doors will open at 7:40. Dress is casual (I will be in my yoga clothes, hair up and probably no makeup!). And if you feel so called, stay for 9:00 yoga with Priscilla (this class has become my church!). Inner Sun Yoga studio is on the corner of 8th Ave. and Oregon, across from Kossels. Parking and entrance are behind the building.