On the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and as we give honor to his work and his civil rights legacy, we are invited to reflect on our own call to action. What is the purpose and mission to which we are called and through which we are empowered to serve the betterment of our world?
The Book of Remembrance
The prophet Malachi spoke of the Book of Remembrance in which God wrote about all those who revered the Lord (Malachi 3:16). Malachi wrote of this Book of Remembrance during a time and within a culture where people believed themselves to be separate from God and who believed in a God of judgment and wrath. Malachi’s understanding of the Book of Remembrance was limited by the veil of separation which seemed to stand between himself and God. We now live in a time where the veil of separation is falling away and in which we are invited to remember our Oneness with the God of love and compassion through whom, in whom, and for whom we have been made. As such, The Book of Remembrance is available to us in a way that was not possible before and through which we will be awakened to our unique mission of love that is meant to be made manifest at this unique and special time in the history of humankind.
Remembering our Purpose
In The Book of Remembrance is written the Divine account about who we are made to be – our Divine purpose and our Divine mission in this life, on this planet and in this universe. Within the Book of Remembrance is the written record of the uniquely creative way in which we have been gifted to find meaning, purpose and fulfillment in this life and the way in which we are called to contribute to the betterment of all of creation. Each and every one of us is written into this book and each and every one of us has access to The Book of Remembrance so that we can become the people God made us to be, thereby fulfilling our mission on this planet and God’s mission through us. It is in the simple reading of the Book of Remembrance that we come to REMEMBER who God made us to be and it is in the simple reading of the Book of Remembrance that we become the person God made us to be.
Accessing the Book of Remembrance
If you desire to access The Book of Remembrance, the following meditation will provide you with the means to do so:
1) Set aside a time to be silent. Find a comfortable place to sit. Turn off all potential distractions (TV, radio, phones, etc.). Close your eyes and draw your attention to your breathing. Breathe slowly and mindfully, keeping your attention on your breath. If your mind wanders, bring it back to the breath.
2) As you continue to breathe, become aware of your body and mind settling into a place of peaceful calm. As you settle into this place of peacefulness, ask God for permission to read the Book of Remembrance, in a way that is for your highest good.
3) Imagine an ancient and sacred text being placed in your open hands. Make note of the details of the book – its size, color, the appearance of the pages and the text written on the page. Offer a prayer of gratitude for the ability and readiness to receiving the Remembrance that is in your highest good at this place in your journey.
4) Allow yourself to “read” what is written for you in the Book of Remembrance. (Note, you may not be able to read the text as it might be composed in symbols or in a language you do not understand. Trust that you are able to read it regardless.) As you read, KNOW that in the reading you are REMEMBERING your Divine purpose, your Divine mission and the uniquely creative way in which you have been gifted to find meaning, purpose and fulfillment in your life and through which you are being called to serve the betterment of the universe. In addition, KNOW that in the reading you are being empowered to BE the person God made you to be.
5) After you have read and feel as if the reading is complete. Imagine that you are returning the book to where it came from. Offer a prayer of thanks and trust that what you received in the reading will be made manifest in your life.
6) Return to The Book of Remembrance through this meditation again and again trusting that with each new reading, more is being Remembered and being made manifest in your life.
This blog is offered free of charge so that it will be available and accessible to all who need it. If you have found this blog to be meaningful and supportive of your own journey of awakening and empowerment, please consider making a donation (donation button in the right sidebar menu) to this site in support of the work provided here. Thank you.
Lauri Ann Lumby
Sehme Aniyakah, Sehme Oniyahkah