Mr. President, U.S. Senators and Congressmen,
I’m writing to you as a mother, business owner and concerned citizen. As a mother, I say, “You should be ashamed of yourselves.” How do grown (mostly) men cause the shutdown of our Federal Government and services? And all over your petty squabbles over ObamaCare? Really? Again, you should be ashamed of yourselves! If I were in charge, I would fire the lot of you! If I were your mother, you would all be grounded, your electronics taken away and you would be invited to write a sincere letter of apology to the American people. Then I would take you to the local homeless shelter and soup kitchen and show you how the rest of the world lives and invite you to remember who you were hired to serve.
As a business owner, skilled in business management, I would point out the obvious. Mr. President, while I voted for you and continue to uphold your leadership and policies, ObamaCare, while good in theory, will prove to be problematic, not only in its execution, but in its practice. Senators and Congressmen…..do you remember who you work for? You work for US….the American people, not the lobbyists who pad your pockets, most certainly NOT the Insurance and pharmaceutical companies who are sure to benefit from the “revisions” to ObamaCare you are working so hard to push through. YOU WORK FOR US! Do not forget that. If I were your business manager and you failed in your job, as you have failed today, I would fire the lot of you and start over. And my choice for your replacements would be required to fulfill the following requirements:
1) You will have experience working in the service industry. There is nothing better than pushing burgers, waiting tables and tending bar to teach one humility and compassion for the human condition and the reality of life in America.
2) You would be required to undergo sound psychological assessment to insure that you have an emotional intelligence past the age of 12. I need to know that you can play well with others, listen to opinions other than your own, hear the truth beyond what is being said, name and claim your needs and speak to others nicely without bullying and name calling. I also need to know that you can work for someone other than yourself and your own selfish pride. I want grown ups running my government, not spoiled, rotten children!
3) You will have had to experience life in the trenches – what it is like to be uninsurable, to have to pay for insurance out of ones own pocket, to have an unplanned pregnancy and not know how you are going to care for yourself and this child, to have been unemployed and forced to stand in line at the local unemployment office or to experience the humiliation of food stamps, to be faced with the rising costs of education and knowing the only way to attend college is through student loans, and then have to face the staggering debt required of a 4 year college degree. If you have not had these experiences, you would have to serve a pre-employment internship in which you are serving these people, so you can see the faces and learn the names of the people you have been hired to serve. As part of this internship, you would be required to spend time in the worst places in our country, where people live in poverty under the constant threat of violence so that you can see where REAL change needs to be accomplished!
4) You will have to undergo training in collaborative leadership and consensus based decision-making. Ultimately, serving in the Congress and US Senate is about finding the middle path through the perceived poles of bi-partisanship. If you cannot learn to work together for the common good, then you have no place in government. If you are only there to serve your own agenda, or the agenda of the lobbyists who pad your pocket, then you DEFINITELY have no place in government. I’m not really sure where you belong…I’m thinking there might be a special place in hell for those who succumb to this temptation.
5) I would outlaw all campaign advertising and fundraising. You would have to run for office by listening to what the people need and want and presenting your plan for how you hope to accomplish this….without the backing of lobbyists or benefactors who might have their own personal agendas in mind. Learn how to build a website. Write your own blog. Start a Facebook campaign. Get your friends together to help you distribute fliers, etc. In this way, you will have an idea of how most small businesses operate, and perhaps then you will have some compassion for how small business is negatively affected by your childish shenanigans!
As a concerned citizen, I implore you to get your shit together! People are losing money, wages, services as you continue your squabbles. More importantly, critical issues, those beyond ObamaCare, are being neglected while you argue. It is obvious that ObamaCare has some problems, even some not related to lobbyists’ private agendas. My suggestion would be that EVERYONE agree that ObamaCare needs an overhaul. Delay the launch. Take it off the table. Go back to the drawing board…..and LOCK the lobbyists out of the discussion. In revisioning ObamaCare, ask yourself ONE question:
1) How are we going to ensure access to quality healthcare for ALL Americans?
Then figure out a way to do it!
Lauri Ann Lumby