I am writing to extend to you an invitation. For the past 14 days, I have been engaged in a 30-day “in the world” spiritual healing retreat. Through this self-imposed spiritual healing retreat, I am discovering profound insight and experiencing dramatic transformation while unraveling from a series of pesky compulsive behaviors (dare I say, addictions). Thanks in part to this spiritual healing retreat (with a healthy dose of GRACE), the world as I have known it and as I have defined it has literally shifted poles. (Just check out my new website design to get an idea!)
I am inviting you, if you feel so called, to design a 30-day, “in the world” spiritual healing retreat of your own. (I am calling this an “in the world” retreat because you aren’t going anywhere but staying present to your everyday life.) Here is how it works:
1) Identify your most pervasive compulsive behaviors/addictions (tv watching, eating, shopping, drinking for comfort, excessive worry, distractions such as Facebook, checking emails more than twice a day, etc.).
2) Meditate on the underlying emotions that may be driving these behaviors/addictions (loneliness, boredom, jealousy, impatience, resentment, hatred, grief, depressions, anxiety, etc.).
3) Choose for the next 30 days to avoid the compulsive behaviors/addictions and instead, to allow yourself to FEEL the underlying emotions. Every time you feel compelled to indulge in one of your compulsive behaviors, choose instead to BE WITH and FEEL the underlying emotions. Allow these emotions to speak to you. They are there because they have something to say to you and are seeking your loving attention and care. Allow yourself to be a loving attendant to these feelings and SEE WHAT HAPPENS.
4) Keep a journal/diary dedicated to this retreat. Write what the underlying emotions are saying to you. Record your thoughts and reflections on this. Observe and record any changes that begin to happen in your life because you are tending to these underlying emotions instead of medicating them with your compulsive behaviors.
5) If you feel called to be in community with others through this journey, please join us on the “Contemplatives and Mystics” site on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/641404835887171/ You will have to send a request to be invited, and once your request is activated, you will be able to share your thoughts, reflections, etc. from the retreat. Please keep comments accepting and loving, affirming and positive. We are here to support each other in the journey to our Soul’s birth. 🙂
6) If you find you need additional support as you move through this process or find things showing up that need additional care, please seek the support of a Spiritual Director, Therapist or Loving Friend. (PS I am available as a source of professional support, but this is not intended as a solicitation…just a reminder).
If you decide to participate in this retreat, you can RSVP to this site in the comment section below. This serves two purposes
- Stating your intention publicly makes it real and helps you to remain accountable.
- Let’s other participants keep you in their loving prayers and support as you move through the retreat.
Thank you to those who say yes to this invitation….more importantly, YOUR SOUL says THANK YOU! 😉
Ok…..for those ready to dive in….On your mark…..get set……GO!
And, as one of my teachers always says, “May peace be your journey!”
Lauri Lumby, Midwife to your Soul